Friday, February 23, 2018

Keep Calm and Sew Purple

On one hand, it seems as though this month of February has flown by. That would be because this is only my second Rainbow Scrap Saturday post for purple. But on the other hand, this month has been going on.for.ev.er.

Back on February 1, a sunny vacation loomed ahead. Now it’s done and we’re back (see last blog post for more of that fiasco).  February also brought a tragic school shooting in Florida, with teenagers proving they’re more mature than many adults in the public forum; Olympics, snowstorms, politics, auto accidents, mounds of laundry, tax returns.... Sheesh. No wonder I dove into my sewing this week and beat those purple scraps into submission!!  

Rather than show everything individually, I’ll just do my usual month-end scrappy recap via a collage photo. 


Here is my Purple February tally (clockwise from top left):

(4) 8.5” string blocks
(3) 10” Squared Away blocks
(9) 6.5” crumb blocks
(1) Geese Migration block
(8) 6.5” selvage blocks
(10) 6.5” quarter log cabin blocks
(3) Linked Squares blocks

That's a total of 38 purple blocks for February.

There were other things I worked on this month as well, of course. I prepared three blocks and a PDF tutorial for The Block Lotto’s March block, which will be published on their site (BlockLotto.com) on March 1.

I finished my brother’s Hot Rod Quilt and sewed up a dozen or sew On Ringo Lake blocks. And this is currently on the design board, being sewn into a flimsy. Sorry for the bad picture. The blocks were folded into fourths so I could play around with their placement easier. I hope to have this finished to reveal for next Saturday’s linkup. 

Rainbow Strings
We found out yesterday that our 11th (and final, I believe) grandchild, due in early July, will be a girl! I’m so excited! So I’m planning her baby quilt. What am I saying? It’s been planned for weeks, and I pulled the fabrics last night. But I have to finish a couple other quilts first, so the baby quilt won’t begin until the second quarter of the year.

Bruce and I will begin car shopping in March. We were in a bad auto accident about a month ago. Luckily, when impact was inevitable, Bruce sped up instead of braking. We were therefore hit toward the rear of the truck instead of the cab where I was sitting. We thought his truck was totaled, but because Toyotas hold their value so well, it wasn’t close. We get the truck back next week. And so, for reasons I won’t go into here, we will sell both our current vehicles and buy a new one. We are looking at another Toyota hybrid, probably a RAV4 SUV. And I will be the sole driver.

And since I haven’t shown kitty pictures for awhile (and every post is better with cats, right?), here are Alfie and Darla settling in for a long winter’s nap....



Linking up to:
Oh Scrap!

15 comments:

  1. I didn't like the implication of "I will be the sole driver". I always keep you two in my prayers. Oh how I would love to go car shopping, but I love my Element and will hate to give it up. Love the purples you are working with.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you both were safe and unhurt! Scarey stuff!
    I love all your entries for Purple February--{I don't know what it is, but I cannot stick to a color for one month...I did it for two years and found it was "work" for me and not "fun".
    BUT now, if I choose a color...well, you know how that goes...}I really enjoy seeing what Rainbow scrappers produce though...gosh, 38blocks!! You DO realize that there are only 28 days this month and it's not even over yet!! You are moving at warp speed here...lol
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are both OK. I am thinking about starting some string blocks. I have bags of scraps. Good work, love your purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! Look at you go! (Are all Cathy's dynamos, or just the ones I hang out with?) Love all the purple goodness!
    February really has been a walloper, hasn't it? I'm looking forward to March, I'll tell ya.
    Good luck with the car shopping! Do they come in purple?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your purple scrappy blocks for February - what Ana amazing collection. What a busy months you had. Very pleased you both came out of the car accident OK. Good luck with the car buying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a collection for having spent a lot of time away! And I'm glad your cats are slowly overcoming their neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident, Cathy! I hope you are both okay in spite of it. I love all your purple blocks, and especially that view of your string blocks. That made me want to go right down to my sewing room and sew string blocks! These Saturday linkies are dangerous - I want to start all kinds of new things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your monthly output earns my usual Wow! Best of luck with your new vehicle. And get that baby girl quilt going soon, because time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, your car accident sounds really scary! Not a happy reason to buy a new car, no matter what :( But a new granddaughter *is* happy news and I'm sure you'll have fun making her quilt! I hope you'll remind us on March 1 about your Block Lotto pdf so I can go peek at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your month-end stack of blocks looks wonderful, as always! Your more complex version of the quarter log cabins are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the collage of blocks. I just love showing off the whole month all at once too. Great blocks. The cats under and on quilts are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful blocks! And congratulations for the soon new grand-baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a lot! Beautiful purple blocks Cathy.
    Your cats made the best pictures, for sure.
    Congratulations a new granddaughter is a great news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those blocks, a short month and a vacation too??? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Purples are high on my list of favourite colours so I'm happy to see all your purple blocks. And a new grandbaby girl on the way - lucky you!!! As for the car shopping - we have a RAV4 and we love it. Drove it all the way out west and back and it was amazing. If something were to happen to ours I would immediately get another one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!