Friday, January 5, 2018

First Rainbow Scrap Saturday of 2018

Welcome to my little corner of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge world. Our leader Angela has selected blues (medium to light range) as the color for January.  I thought it would be appropriate to begin the month sewing on the carryover projects from last year.  So, these blocks will look familiar to regular readers.

First, I needed two more 8.5” string blocks to finish up a blue foursome for my string quilt.  Now there are just 10 more of these blocks to finish up the quilt.


Then I sewed up another Geese Migration block, which brings me to 18 of the 25 needed for the 62x62” quilt as called for in Cynthia Brunz’ pattern. However, I may decide to change the size, because I don’t like square quilts. I’ll have to decide what this quilt is for - donation or personal use (everyone needs 57 quilts, don’t they, LOL?)  Once I figure that out, I’ll know where the finish line is!


And then I had to sew up some fun 4.5” bow tie blocks - ten of them to be exact. That brings my combined 2017-18 blue total to 26 and the total number of blocks to 250 (of 304 needed). There is a light at the end of the tunnel!


Next week I’ll begin sewing the blocks for the new RSC quilts I’m planning. It’ll be fun to sew and share some new things. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In my last post, I mentioned how Darla was not impressed with my progress with On Ringo Lake (ORL). She basically stuck her tongue out and gagged. With the help of my friend Libby, who pointed out something obvious to both her and Darla (but not to me), I realized that I had put my two ORL blocks together incorrectly. 

My first layout, a “missssnake”:


Bonnie Hunter’s (the correct) layout: (not yet sewn):


Much nicer, isn’t it?!?  I guess it’s time to get my glasses prescription checked....

Linking up to Rainbow Scrap Saturday.

16 comments:

  1. It's the first day of the Rainbow Challenge for 2018 and you aren't showing a new finished quilt...Cathy...you're slipping. Yet still, you are off to an enviable start with such a nice range of projects and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always so ambitious! I think I've decided on a block for RSC, but that's as far as I've got so far. I did have some inspiration a few minutes ago, so I guess I should get down to the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waffling about joining RSC and making string blocks, but yours pushed me over the edge. I just love a good string block! And yes, your ORL blocks look a bit better put together properly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bow tie, Geese Migration and string blocks...all of my favorites! They all look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More bow-ties! They're wonderful; I love them and they will definitely be onn my list for next year! As for ORL You're not the only one; I put my first block together wrongly too. It's a pity because I rather liked the square in a square in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even remember you were making Geese Migration since you have so many quilts WIPs. And your Bow Ties are already almost a top?? Way to go, girl! You deserve a new start.

    And good thing for seam rippers (unless you manage to stab yourself with them sometimes like I do)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly I like both ORL blocks. I don't believe it was a missssssnake, I think it was an opportunity to redesign the layout, lol. Great progress with the blue. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of pretty blues, Cathy! I have lots of bowties ahead of me if I'm going to catch up to you. I actually liked your first ORL block! I knew it wasn't what was planned, but it did have an interesting look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many pretty blue blocks!
    That mystery block isn't a mistake, it's a design variation. I wonder how it would look if you alternated the two blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great progress. Looks like there are some finished quilts in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blue blocks and especially the bow ties. I've been debating starting a scrappy bow tie quilt. I've seen some beauties lately...so tempting. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Ringo Lake is going to look great, Cathy! You did well to finish all the other blocks too. Plenty to do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. if you have a problem with dyslexia, like me, you get parts of blocks turned around and just do not see them as they really are... at least that is my excuse. un-diagnosed at 66!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ALL of your BLUE blocks look wonderful... even the wayward block for On Ringo Lake!!! I'm sure you are going to have fun working with some NEW blocks next week. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of scrappy progress this week! I love the cool, crisp feeling of all the light blue blocks. No help for ORL - I like both of the block arrangements...and your fabrics are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. More pretties - I love blue so you can be sure I would like these blocks. And yes - everyone DOES need that many quilts - or at the very least 52 - one for each week of the year!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!