Saturday, April 15, 2017

Scrap X+plosion Quilt Finished

Hi Friends, and Happy Scrappy Saturday and Easter weekend!

This week was a busy one for Bruce and I, full of doctor visits (Bruce’s arm is doing well; stitches removed next week), family birthday parties, our kids, grandkids and friends visiting, dining out, yard work, errands, and all the stuff of life that makes it fun and interesting. Even the weather has kept us on our toes - cloudy and rainy one day, sunny and warm the next. Typical spring. It’s been a great week overall. And I got lots of fun sewing and quilting in too!

First, as a break from the Scrap X+plosion quilt, I sewed up 13 multi-colored 4” bowtie blocks. Although I’m not crazy about the weak contrast with some of them, I’ll keep them until the time that I begin assembly (likely a year or two before I have enough). They may have a place in the overall design scheme.


And then I whipped up four cactus blocks for Block Lotto.  Each block we sew is an entry into the monthly drawing, winner take all. I have yet to win, but then this is only my fourth month, so it’s all good. I have fun and learn a new block in the process.


And then it was time to finish up the X+ quilt. Alfie, who says that anything Molly or Buddy can do, he can do too, decided to prove it by redesigning the blocks that wouldn’t fit on the design wall.


So here is the finished 42-block Scrap X+plosion quilt. This is my April multi-colored Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt and the first finish for my Quarter 2 Finish Along goals (#6 on the list). And Angela is hosting our regular Saturday Rainbow Scrap linky party over at her blog.  As you can see, I decided to leave out the sashing, and I’m so happy I did. The ombre orange is on the back, and the mustard-colored fabric (after being cut into 1.5” strips) will await another project.


This was such a fun quilt, and a breeze from start to finish. Bruce went wild over it, voicing my feelings exactly that you can never tell how happy and fun a bunch of random scraps can be! It’ll never win any design awards, but it sure has won our hearts. There are so many fabric memories sewn into it. And as soon as I laid it down, guess who claimed it?

HRH Alfalfa on his new throne
Sooner or later he`ll get up and I can throw it in the washer for its first launder. In the meantime, let’s take a quick look at the back.  I used a full (not franken-pieced) batting, but did use a couple near-empty spools of thread for quilting. And then cut up some random pieces and FQs for the back. There is also the one extra X+ block and the last of my orange ombre fabric from a bolt of it I found at the thrift store a year or two ago.


As usual, my quilting is a bit ADHD, and I added random flowers, hearts and other things here and there among the loops.


This block was so bright that it stuck out like a sore thumb with all the others. So, it go placed on the back instead. Works for me!


Have a great week!

Cathy maroon

17 comments:

  1. Cathy, that is gorgeous! I really do love scrap explosions like that- they are especially wonderful to look at up close and enjoy the bits and pieces that make it all up. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your scrap explosion quilt. It's finished beautifully. Your scrappy blocks look wonderful too. Have a happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "New Throne!!!" Isn't it funny how cats immediately find the newly finished, folded quilt and claim it?!? I've got several photos exactly like HRH Alfalfa and his new throne!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Alfie,

    I'm sorry your design decisions weren't respected. However, the scrap explosion quilt seems to be quite successful and you are right to take it as your own.

    Respectfully,

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. So 'fun' when the four legged creatures think they need to help with block design. Hope he was happy with his efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still loving those X's. That scrappy back is just my cup of tea. LOVE those scrappy neutrals. Great minds and (Cathys and Kathys) think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a colorful and happy quilt. Your hubby is a good judge of quilts, the cats not so much. Have a happy and thankful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a riot of color!! Can NOT believe how fast this quilt can together. You are SEW speedy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quit! You made a good choice not to put sashing between the blocks. The backing is super, works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Franken-pieced batting!" I love it! What a fun quilt! Hope you can get it out from under HRH Alfie soon. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another speedy finish! Looks great. I'm glad my DOGS can't interfere with my fabric layouts, or does laying at your feet or in the doorways count? Good luck next week with the stitch removal. I'm sure it seems like forever, but time does fly.
    Happy Easter
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scrappy quilts, and yours fits the bill:) Congrats on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job on that quilt. It is so bright and cheerful. I am forever amazed at what can be done with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness!! You chose exactly right (not to use sashing) - it look spectacular and you are right to be happy with it. It's a quilt that is reminiscent of the truly scrappy ones our grandmothers used to make - no new fabric for them, just what they had - or could cut from something that was worn. I like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The final Scrap Explosion is a happy-making quilt, for sure! Leaving out the sashing just added to the fun. Congrats on a finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing quilt!!! It definitely did not need the sashing. Alfie is such a pretty boy--he looks quite content there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you went with the Mish Mash version of X+. It's fantastic! Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!