Friday, February 24, 2012

Postcard Swap

At Crazy Quilting International, we just had a postcard swap in February.  I showed you the two I made earlier and sent off to my friend Debbie.   Well, a couple days ago, my postcard arrived in the mail from Sandy Larson in AR.  Oh. My. Goodness.

Will you look at that?  Does that say Spring, or what?  Isn’t it beautiful?  Sandy, I love it to death!! The stitching is so dainty and perfect.  The birdsilkie is darling!! And look at how Sandy carried the silkie a bit further by employing 3-D techniques with lace flowers and silk ribbon embroidery. Not only does it enhance the print, but helps to softly frame the print, blurring the hard edge.



* * * * * * * * * * * *
I have pieced a “Snowball” (a 3.5” circle to trade) for Connie, but have not photographed it yet. I will get a picture before I stitch it this weekend.  I hand pieced it not only because of the curves, but because my d*** sewing machine is in the shop.  Well, it’s not the sewing machine’s fault, actually.  It is just there for a cleaning and “tune up”.  The tension has been wacko for weeks.   So, when it gets back all nice and serviced and in good working order, I am selling it.  It’s a 15-year old Viking (Husqvarna) that has been OK, but has always had tension issues. 

And after doing a lot of research (consumer reviews and reading), I am going to get a Brother PC-420 PRW (limited edition Project Runway) sewing machine.  See the Amazon picture and information here. I think part of it will be my birthday present, and Crazy by Design will pay for the rest. I am gearing up to begin stitching boutique items for the spring-summer boutique season here, and need a reliable machine.  I am so excited!!!!!  It has 294 stitches and 3 alphabets. And costs almost $100 less than the Viking I bought 15 years ago.   

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
And finally, yesterday was Londay (the day we watch our DGD London).  We only watch her for half days now because we have a hard time keeping up with an active 2 ½ year old.  No kidding.  Now I know what they mean by “silence is golden”, hehehe.  London is a total chatterbox and rarely stops talking or singing or commenting.  Yesterday she was trying to get up on the daybed in her room. Actually, it’s our guest room where we keep her porta-crib. But that is being put away this weekend because she will not stay in it. I just pull out the trundle from the daybed. Of course, she won`t stay in that, either. You know 2-year-olds. They`re in charge. They wear you down.   But I digress.  

London was climbing on the bed, saying “I need clenentine”.  I couldn’t figure out what she meant until she grabbed the stuffed Panda teddy bear. We (Bruce and I) had sung to her “Oh My Darling Clementine” a couple weeks ago, and we had decided to name the teddy bear “Clementine”.    So, she came out and held the bear and sang “Clementine” with us. 


London is getting into Grammy’s yogurt and strawberries.  Note that she has the same thing on HER plate, but that’s not as exciting I guess.  :-)

Someone should award a Nobel Peace Prize to the person who invented Sippy Cups.  

Until next time,

Cathy maroon

6 comments:

  1. That postcard is to die for! I love the 3-D effect around the silkie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy -- I am in awe at the swap card you rec'd and then I went back and looked at the ones you prepared and posted (a while back)... and om goodness.... They are stunning.

    Is there a tutorial or a post that outlines how you get the postcard print onto the fabric ? Do you take a picture of it and then print it to fabric that is ironed on to freezer paper. The end products are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am a sucker for a London post! So sweet about the bear. What treasure to have these posts to look back on in the years to come.
    The swap card is beautiful!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cathy, London is such a sweet Little girl. I can hardly believe she is already two. Love your new sewing machine. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your swap card is just beautiful! Lucky girl you are. London is such a pretty little angel and I know you are so proud of her! Can't wait to see how your snowball turns out.

    On a side note, I have tons of yoyo's cut from the fabric you sent. Now to start sewing them.Thanks again! Hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fabric postcards. To me they are a blank canvas and from there anything goes! Lovely!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!