Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Trip to the Antique Store

In the midst of preparing for the boutique (to say nothing of next week’s CQ Retreat), I got a postcard from my friend Joan who owns an antique store (see stories herehere, here and here).  She had just returned from a show in Denver and had some old CQ blocks and all sorts of vintage ribbons and trims in.  Did I want to see them?  Twenty minutes later, Bruce and I were on her doorstep, LOL.

My discretionary funds are very low these days (it’s called retirement), but she always gives me a good deal (and this time it was a great deal), plus I got some credit in exchange for giving her some Etsy lessons. Let me show you some of my treasures.


There were lots of vintage ribbon flowers from the 1920’s, but this was a style I had never seen before. I bought it and hope to analyze it and see if I can figure out how it’s done.  I do have a class with Candace Kling in November at the Pink Bunny retreat, so if I can’t figure it out, I am sure Candace knows.

See the stamens tucked in there?
This is the back. I don’t know what those two black threads were for.

Bruce always loves a good antique store, and he settled himself down after doing his rounds, knowing that I would inspect every scrap of ribbon, trim and lace in the store.  To keep him occupied,  I had him sort through the baskets of buttons for me. I told him to think large and unusual; things that would go on Boho bags or that would just look awesome on a crazy quilt.

I have to tell you - he did a super job!  This was my favorite thing he found, and he knew it was perfect the moment he saw it.  What a wonderful button, eh?  It almost looks like you are looking down on a vintage hat!


Below are some of the other buttons he found.


And here are my trims:


And this one (below) I believe I got enough of to share. I will have to go through things carefully when I get back from Colorado.  And I am ashamed to admit this, but I still haven’t put everything away that I got in Connecticut last April! I realized it when I began finally cleaning my studio up this week...


This was so unusual I couldn’t resist:


A couple views of some antique metallic trim I bought:



And the

                    piece de resistance


Vintage metal thread and silk ribbon basket applique
It just occurs to me that I don’t have any pictures of the lace I got. Hmmmm… where did I put it all anyway?  I know it’s not buried in the studio

Hey, check out my Etsy shop if you haven’t done so for awhile.  I am still trying to add new motifs, but some are selling as fast as I can get them listed!  ;-)  Lots of new things, and I would like to get at least one of everything listed before I take my stash to Colorado!  

Oh, and I have reached 250 followers, so when I get back from Colorado, I am going to do a giveaway! Don’t know what yet, but I am open to suggestions…..

Talk to you soon!
Cathy maroon

9 comments:

  1. le bouton de rose est superbe !!!!!!!!!!!!
    bisous de Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finds are really great! The ribbon and buttons are wonderful and that ribbon flower is so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rose bud button, how unusual it is. Bruce is a fantastic button shopper, how nice he not only drives you there, he helps with the search....Bruce, you could be called an enabler, or the perfect husband!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely treasures Cathy! Do have fun in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit the mother lode!! I'm fascinated by that flower too - hope you can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool finds! Love that little rose bud!
    Neat trim and basket too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cathy, What a great stash of buttons and ribbon you collected. I reckon Bruce has had a good teacher. VBG Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some little tresures you found in that Antique shop! Love the ribbon flower <3

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!