Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Swift Water & CPR Training

Next week I start my summer job as a morning Kids Camp Counselor at Wheeler Historic Farm, the Salt Lake County-run working farm about a block from my house.

Today we had lessons conducted by the American Heart Association on First Aid & CPR, as well as learning to use an AED (defibrillator). I am officially certified!

Also, because of all the snow we had this winter and the rain this spring, our creeks and rivers are running at very high levels. So we had some gentlemen from the County conduct a Swift Water program for us. After the slide show, which gave us general infomation (hypothermia, water facts and the like), we were taken to specific hazard spots on the farm where there are low head dams or churning rapids. The picture shows one area that will be potentially accessible to the public (if they ignore the caution tape that's been strung up). This picture was taken over a month ago, and the water is faster and deeper and the creek much wider now. We learned proper rescue procedures. Although it was raining throughout our lesson, we all put on life jackets and practiced tossing out rope bags to the "victim" (a floating life jacket moving downstream). I tossed three times and each time was able to reach the victim. Don't know if I'd keep such a cool head in a real emergency, but I feel much better able to handle emergencies!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great summer job. My son would love going to your camp.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!